Dear Reading Elementary "Rockets" Families & Community Members:
It was a busy week back with Ski Runners and lots of colds and tummy bugs! Thank you to all who worked so hard to arrive promptly! Just a reminder that a yummy breakfast is served 7:20 - 7:30. If you want your child to have breakfast, please arrive in time for them to eat before we start morning meeting. and head to class.
Kudos and heartfelt thanks to:
- Amy Harkins for lending her Legos to Pre-K for learning!
- Neighbor Jane Cleveland who volunteers to help in our library!
- Ski Runner volunteers - Pete Seaman, Matt Foley, Sue Mulder, Kate Allen, Boolie Sluka, and Matt Maxham!
Other Items of Interest:
Library Books - Many students brought home library books home before the Winter Break. Please help your student bring them back to school tomorrow. Notices came home on Friday in folders.
Act 46 Study Committee - The committee will be meeting again Wed., Jan. 4, from 6:30 - 8 PM at the WCSU Central Office. Hope you'll join us!
Ski Runners - Continues this week. We will have activities at school for any students not participating.
Do You Know An RES Alumni? - Our library media/tech classes are participating in a project based learning which they have titled the oxymoron, "Wasted Time." (For those of you who don't know, it's a country song that represents their thoughts.) They are conducting a survey and creating a digital living history to represent the past and present of Reading Elementary School and we need your help! Did you attend Reading Elementary School? Do you know someone who did? If you did, then please complete the survey and ask other alumni, to complete the attached SURVEY. Students will be researching their town and school history and preserving it digitally. Check out what we've done so far at RES PAST AND PRESENT.
Family Outdoor Fun That's So Close - Ascutney Outdoors - Winter Schedule and Events 2016/17
Rope Tow Schedule: Opens for the season Wed. Dec. 28th snow depending. Check our website http://ascutneyoutdoo
The rope tow is FREE to ski and ride for everyone!!!!!
Thursday: (for Thursday Classic Race Series only.)
Holidays and vacation weeks: Monday through Thursdays , Fridays , Saturdays and Sundays . Thursday in addition for races
Events: For more information check our website http://ascutneyoutdoor
- Race training: (for all ages and abilities of skiers and riders) FREE and FUN, FUN, FUN!! Friday , Sat. and Sun.
- Thursday Classic Race Series: Thursday . Starting Jan. 5th (for all ages and abilities of skiers and riders)
- Full Moon hikes to Mile Long Field: Jan. 12th Thursday, Feb. 10th Friday, March 12th Sunday
- Winterfest: Feb. 11th
- Fatscutney, Fat bike race
- Tiki Torch Snow shoe and X Country ski tour
- Ski and Snowboarding Race on the rope tow
- Winter Wild: Feb. 18th Fun Uphill race
- Rope A Thon: March 18th
Rental Equipment: SITZMARK 674-6930
For more Information contact: Laura Farrell firstname.lastname@example.org
When the first and second graders counted the money the next day, they discovered they had made $247 by selling people things that they wanted for the holidays. Their next task was to find out what people need to survive and to decide where to direct the money so it could do the most good. In the end, they chose three local charities to give to: The Vermont Food Bank (food), The Upper Valley Haven (housing), and the Children’s Hospital at Dartmouth—ChaD (health). They also chose three international charities: Pure Water for the World (for water purification systems in remote villages), Oxfam America (100 bars of emergency soap for use during natural disaster and a rooster and hen to provide food and income for a family in Africa) and through Watsi they sponsored a little girl named Rachel in Guatemala who needed medical treatment because of malnutrition (food). The thank you notes they have already received have let them know that though the need for help is great throughout the world, their generosity, hard work, and caring for others both near and far can make a difference.
From Mrs. Faulkner, Pre-K Teacher: The pre-k students will start attending all school meeting mornings. This begins at in the gym. Sure hope you can join us too. This week we will sing the "Ten Little Snowflakes" for/with everyone.
Pre-k and kindergarten will have a VINS visit from Miss Hannah morning this week. Please be sure to send your child with all winter apparel every day, especially , as we plan to do some outdoor "tracking" with Miss Hannah.
OTHER WAYS TO HELP READING SCHOOL
- Volunteer to read or help out in a classroom or the library!
- Come to a Reading Elementary School Board Meeting!
LUNCH & BREAKFAST MENU FOR THIS WEEK:
Please send in your payment if you have not already done so. Lunch accounts should be paid in full each month. If you need help complete the Free/Reduced Paperwork, we are here to help! ALL APPLICATIONS are kept confidential. Thank you!
- Mon., Jan. 9 - Fish Sticks, Applesauce, Cole Slaw, Beet Chips, Quinoa; Breakfast: Oatmeal - The Regulars
- Tues., Jan. 3 - Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken, Pears, Carrots & Cucumbers, Sweet Potatoes, Whole Grain Rice; Breakfast: Hard Boiled Eggs - The Regulars
- Wed., Jan. 4 - Black Bean, Rice & Cheese Quesadillas, Cottage Cheese, Melon, Iceberg Lettuce & Tomatoes on WG Tortilla; Breakfast: Omelet w/Sausage - The Regulars
- Thurs., Jan. 5 - Chicken Noodle Soup, Pears, Whole Grain Noodles (carrots, peas, green beans) ; Breakfast: Hard Boiled Egg - The Regulars
- Fri., Jan. 6 - Turkey Meatloaf, Apples, Spinach Salad w/Carrots, Potatoes, Whole Grain Bread Salad; Breakfast: Bagel w/Cream Cheese - The Regulars
Happening this Week:
- Mon., Jan. 9 - Library - Please remind your children to bring in their library books!
- Tues., Jan. 10 -
- VINS visits Pre-K and K
- Wed., Jan. 11 -
- RES PROGRAM Afterschool Program begins 2:45 - 5 PM
- Special Board Meeting 6 PM
- Fri., Jan. 13 -
- Ski Runners
- End of Term 2
Mark Your Calendar/Upcoming Events:
- Mon., Jan. 16 - Inservice - NO SCHOOL
- Wed., Jan. 18 -
- After School Program - 2:45 - 5 PM
- RES Board 6 PM
- Thurs., Jan. 19 - 6 PM - Special Board Meeting
- Fri., Jan. 20 - Ski Runners
- Wed., Jan. 25 - After School Program 2:45 - 5 PM
- Fri., Jan. 27 - Ski Runners
- Wed., Feb. 1 - PTO Meeting 6 PM
- Fri., Feb. 3 - Ski Runners
- Fri., Feb. 10 - Ski Runners
- Sun., Feb. 12 - PTO Pasta Night 4 - 7 PM
- Fri., Feb. 17 - Ski Runners
- Mon., Feb. 20 - Fri., Feb. 24 - NO SCHOOL
- Fri., March 3 - Ski Runners