It's a busy week - Tues. and Wed. the AOE will be visiting, Tues. is Election Day, and Thursday is School Picture Day!
Education Quality Review Pilot Project
On , a small team of educators from the Vermont Agency of Education and area school supervisory unions will be visiting RES (and all WCSU schools) as part of an AOE statewide pilot project. The aim of this project is to create a process for reviewing each supervisory union's progress towards the Vermont Education Quality Standards. The standards cover five areas: academic proficiency, high quality staffing, safe and healthy schools, personalization, and financial efficiency.
The team will review data, observe classes, and interview school community members to gather information about our progress. The result of this pilot will be a set of commendations and recommendations for our SU that address the five categories listed above.
Please feel free to greet the EQR team if you are at RES during their visit.
Kudos and heartfelt thanks to:
- Chaperones on the Montpelier Gr. 3/4 Trip.
Parents and Students to be Interviewed - I am writing to ask if you give permission for your child to participate on a RES student interview panel on Tuesday OR Wed. as part of the Vermont Agency of Education (AOE) site visit who will be conducting an Education Quality Review (EQR) of each supervisory union in order to determine the effectiveness of the Education Quality Standards. Windsor Central Supervisory Union, along with 19 other SUs in Vermont, were selected to pilot the AOE’s processes in measuring the quality standards.
The parent interview panel is one portion of the EQR. Visitors will also observe classrooms, interview students and teachers, and peruse artifacts such as newsletters to parents, faculty meeting minutes, staff and parent handbooks, policies surrounding student supports, hiring of personnel, and financial efficiencies within the supervisory union. All of this will take place over the course of two days, November 8th and 9th.
The interviewers will consist of educators from nearby school districts who have also participated as a host school in the EQR process. Ann Koop, Principal at Barnard and I were recently on a visiting team to Rutland Southwest Supervisory Union . It was a very positive experience and provided us with insights to other methods and processes that may or may not be beneficial to the RES community.
If you are able to participate on the parent interview panel next Tues. afternoon or Wednesday morning, please RSVP yes or no via this email by Mon., Nov. 7. I understand work schedules take priority so please do not feel obligated to attend.
Picture Day - School picture day IS Thurs., Nov. 10, and all pictures will be in in time for holiday gift giving. Pre-K Parents of 3 yr. olds are asked to bring them in special for pictures that day - that was the only available day. Thank you for your support and understanding. Picture envelopes came home last week - please check your child's book bag.
Family Folders - PLEASE send in your folders that are sent home to families from Teacher Libbet. This is a major way to "reuse" and keep communication current. Please send them in if you haven't done so.
Emergency Call Alert - We had a "test" phone call last Tuesday night. If you did not receive a call, please let Libbet know ASAP.
Ski Runner Details - Information packets and forms will be coming home in the next week. PLEASE check your students' backpacks. Please note the following dates. In the past the PTO paid 40% of the fee, but this year has not been decided on yet.
Where: Suicide Six Ski Area Base Lodge
When Fridays 1/6, 1/13, 1/20, 1/27, 2/3, 2/10, 2/17, 3/10 (2:00 – 4:00 PM)
Fee: $75 until 12/01/16 OR $85 after 12/01/2016
There is NO program Feb. 24 due to Presidents Week, or March 3th due to the Special Olympics. Registration opens October 5, 2016. Registration closes December 18, 2016.
Coming Soon - In December we will be having after school clubs on Wednesdays. Time and offerings will be sent home before Thanksgiving!
MESSAGE FROM OUR TEACHERS:
From Ms. Kathi Faulkner, Pre- K Teacher:
- I sent out emails on Friday to set up family conferences during the month of November. For planning purposes, I would appreciate you responding in the next few days, if you have not already responded. Thank you.We will be wrapping up our “fire safety” unit this week and then move into “weather”. The Happy Hound Helper will have the job of reporting the weather added as a responsibility soon. We will preface that with a weather theme to learn about our different types of weather.We have a visit from Hannah from VINS this Tuesday, 11/8. The topic is “wheels and pulleys” and we will not be going outside for this activity.Our, guidance counselor, Ms. L., has begun working with pre-k students on Wednesday mornings on social skills. This is done during a circle time with the whole group.Reminder: No school on Friday in honor of our veterans. We will also have no swimming lessons this week; we will resume them next week.
OTHER WAYS TO HELP READING SCHOOL -
-Come to a Reading Elementary School Board Meeting!
-Come to a Reading Elementary School Board Meeting!
|Have you linked your AdvantEdge Card to our school? |
Simply sign up and shop to help our school earn free classroom equipment, all donated by Price Chopper.
Enroll at www.pricechopper.com . Our school code is: 13970.
Share this post to get family, friends and neighbors to sign up, too. The more supporters we have, the more opportunities our school has to earn points when they shop! Thank you.
LUNCH & BREAKFAST MENU FOR THIS WEEK:
Lunch accounts should be paid in full each month. Please send in your payment if you have not already done so. If you need help complete the Free/Reduced Paperwork, we are here to help! ALL APPLICATIONS are kept confidential. Thank you!
- Mon., Nov. 7 - Fish Sticks, Pears, Peas, Sweet & White Potatoes Whole Grain Couscous; Breakfast: Omelet & Toast - The Regulars
- Tues., Nov. 8 - Chicken Enchilada Casserole, Grapes, Spinach Salad with Carrots (whole grain tortillas) ; Breakfast: Hard Boiled Egg - The Regulars
- Wed., Nov. 9 - Pea Soup, Sliced Cheddar Cheese, Tangerines, Bok Choy Salad, Rainbow Peppers ; Breakfast: Muffin & Sausage - The Regulars
- Thurs., Nov. 10 - Roast Beef Sandwiches, Applesauce Iceberg Lettuce Shred , Cherry Tomatoes, (whole grain bread) ; Breakfast - Hard Boiled Eggs - the Regulars
- Fri., Nov.11 - NO SCHOOL - THANK VETERANS for their Service!
Happening this Week:
- Mon., Nov. 7 - Library/Media Lessons - please send in your child's library books they checked out!
- Tues., Nov. 8 -
- 4 yr. old Preschoolers 7:45 AM - 11:45 AM
- VINS Visits Pre-K & K
- Educational Quality Review Committee visits 12 - 3
- Wed., Nov. 9 -
- Both 4 and 3 yr. old preschoolers 7:45 - 11:45 AM
- 7:45 - 8 AM - All School Morning Meeting in MPR/Cafeteria
- Educational Quality Review Committee visits 7:30 - 12
- Thurs., Nov. 10 -
- 4 year old Pre-Schoolers 7:45 AM - 11:45 AM - SWIMMING!
- School Picture Day - This is a change!
- Fri., Nov. 11 -
- SCHOOL CLOSED - Veteran's Day
Mark Your Calendar/Upcoming Events:
- Tues., Nov. 15 - Act 46 Community Forum 6 PM - Dinner & Childcare
- Sat., Nov. 19 - Pie Sale
Thanksgiving Pie Sale At the Reading Town Hall
Saturday, November 19, 2016
8:00 am until 12:00 pm (or until they are sold out)
The Reading Elementary School students will be making their delicious pies for your enjoyment.Some of the flavors will be apple, pumpkin and coconut. Sponsored by the Reading PTO
- Tues., Nov. 22 -
- Thanksgiving Community Feast - Gobble, Gobble!!
You’re Invited By the Reading Elementary Studentsto attend their Annual Thanksgiving Luncheon Feast complete with turkey, potatoes and all of the fixings.Tuesday, November 22 at the Reading Elementary SchoolThere will be two sittings:11:30 for the families of the PreK to 2nd grade students12:00 for the families of the students in the grades 3 to 6
Community members are welcome at either sitting.Donations to defray the cost of the feast will be gratefully accepted at the door. PLEASE call Libbet to reserve your seat!
- Wed., Nov. 23 - Fri., Nov. 23 - SCHOOL CLOSED - Thanksgiving
- Thurs., Dec. 15 - Winter Choral Concert