It's time for Parent-Teacher Conferences. Please contact your teachers directly about scheduling that time. In my 30 years in education, I have never been in a school district that didn't have a designated day "off" for parent conferences, but I will work closely with the teachers so they have time to meet with you.
Kudos and heartfelt thanks to:
- The Pre-K parents who drove students to swimming lessons!
- The Library for letting us create lavender sachets and pumpkins there!
- ALL the parents who donated things to, helped out, and attended the Leaf Peepers Breakfast!
Picture Day - School picture day IS Thurs., Nov. 10, and all pictures will be in in time for holiday gift giving. Thank you for your support and understanding. Picture envelopes will be coming home MONDAY.
Nurse News - There have been an abundance of ticks this year. Please check out this ARTICLE for more information.
Family Folders - PLEASE send in your folders that are sent home to families from Teacher Libbet. This is a major way to "reuse" and keep communication current. Please send them in if you haven't done so.
Art Events- A few upcoming arts-related events with our loyal community partner, The Reading Public Library and Librarian, Tony Pikramenos:
- Tuesday, October 25—Halloween Pumpkin Carving, 8:15-2:30 pm—Each of the classes, K, ½, ¾, 5/6 will walk to the library during their regular art time to carve pumpkins for display at Reading’s Fright Night on Saturday, October 29. The pumpkins were planted by Mrs. Drinker’s first and second graders last spring behind the Reading Firehouse. Adult helpers for each class are welcome and encouraged! Please let your student’s teacher know if you are able to assist with this project. Thanks for your support. Take heart in art, Lisa Kaija, firstname.lastname@example.org
"Spirit Night in Reading-Halloween Fun" - Sat. Oct. 29th
4:30 PM - Town Hall, Pizza
5 PM - Trick or Treating in town
5:30 PM - A guy in a librarian outfit will be passing out goodies to trick-or-treaters.
6 PM - Town Hall Activities & GAMES
These activities are free and we welcome children of all ages. Adult carved pumpkins can be left on the Town Hall front steps and don't forget to put your contact information on it. If you would like to donate candy to help your neighbors in the Village, please drop it at the Town Office. If you are interested in helping with set-up or clean-up of these vents, please call Esther Allen at 484-5029. Sponsored by the Reading Recreation Commission.
Price Chopper News - Many thanks to all of you who have signed up! We have
MESSAGE FROM OUR PTO:
Last night at our regular monthly meeting the PTO held its annual board elections. Boolie Sluka resigned as Chair and I resigned as Secretary. No one accepted nomination for the position of Board Chair and, consequently, the election process was suspended.
While Wade Mullins has graciously agreed to continue to serve as PTO Treasurer, the PTO cannot continue to function without a full slate of officers. I have attached copies of the PTO bylaws (as enacted in 2008 and amended in 2015) for everyone’s review. The board consists of a minimum of eight members: three officers (Chair, Secretary and Treasurer) and one classroom parent for each classroom (pre-k, k, 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6). As indicated in the bylaws, there is nothing that precludes two people from sharing a board position. Whoever succeeds Boolie and I as Chair and Secretary will have lots of guidance from both of us and Wade.
Elections will be held again on st. If no one is willing to step up and serve as Chair or Secretary at the next election cycle all future fundraising events are in jeopardy. Therefore, we strongly encourage you to consider becoming a board member of the PTO. This is a dedicated group of parents and teachers who work tirelessly to provide educational opportunities for our children and promote the importance of our school within the community. If anyone is interested in serving in either an officer position or as a classroom parent please feel free to contact either myself, Boolie or Wade.
MORE FROM OUR TEACHERS NEXT WEEK!
OTHER WAYS TO HELP READING SCHOOL -
-Volunteer to be an officer of the PTO!
-Read or volunteer to help out in a classroom!
LUNCH & BREAKFAST MENU FOR THIS WEEK:
Lunch accounts should be paid in full each month. Please send in your payment if you have not already done so. If you need help complete the Free/Reduced Paperwork, we are here to help! ALL APPLICATIONS are kept confidential. Thank you!
- Mon., Oct. 24 - ; Chicken Toes, Whole Grain Rice, Grapes, Mixed Vegetables, Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs & Toast - The Regulars
- Tues., Oct. 25 - White Bean Kielbasa, Kale Soup, Whole Grain Rye Crisp, Apple; Breakfast: Hardboiled Eggs - The Regulars
- Wed., Oct. 26 - Lentilly Sloppy Joes, Whole Grain Roll, Tangerines, Iceberg Lettuce, Rainbow Peppers ; Breakfast: Germany Pancake - The Regulars
- Thurs., Oct. 27 - Cheesy Noodles w/Ground Turkey, Whole Grain Pasta, Kiwi & Melon, Broccoli; Breakfast - Hard Boiled Eggs - the Regulars
- Fri., Oct. 28 - Philly Cheese Steak, Whole Grain Bun, Pears, Green Beans, Cabbage; Breakfast - Omelet - the Regulars
Happening this Week:
- Mon., Oct. 17 - Library/Media Lessons - please send in your child's library books they checked out!
- Tues., Oct. 25 -
- 4 yr. old Preschoolers 7:45 AM - 11:45 AM
- Wed., Oct. 16 -
- Both 4 and 3 yr. old prschoolers 7:45 - 11:45 AM
- 7:45 - 8 AM - All School Morning Meeting in MPR/Cafeteria
- Thurs., Oct. 27 -
- 4 year old Pre-Schoolers 7:45 AM - 11:45 AM - SWIMMING!
- Fri., Oct. 28 -
- 3 yr. Pre-schoolers 7:45 AM - 11:45 AM - SWIMMING!
- End of Term 1
- Sat., Oct. 29 - "Spirit Night in Reading" at the Town Hall - 4:30 - 6:30 PM
Mark Your Calendar/Upcoming Events:
- Tues., Nov. 8 - Educational Quality Review Committee visits 12 - 3
- Wed., Nov. 9 - Educational Quality Review Committee visits 7:30 - 12
- Wed., Thurs., Nov. 10 - School Picture Day ** - This is a change!
- Fri., Nov. 11 - School Closed - Veteran's Day
- Sat., Nov. 19 - Pie Sale
- Wed., Nov. 23 - Fri., Nov. 23 - SCHOOL CLOSED - Thanksgiving